Thursday, February 17, 2011

More Good News!


In more good transportation news, China seems to be on some sort of nationwide spring holiday. That means that transportation is at a premium. There's a lot of people in China, by the way.

I asked the receptionist at my hostel about train tickets to Beijing. She made a phone call and reported that for the next week, there is only standing room available. Beijing is another two day trip. I was looking forward to a nice comfy bunk to relax in. Now I was being told that I'd be lucky to stand for two days unless I wanted to kick around this town for over a week.

Due to the good grace of my masochistic tendencies, I was about to get a standing room ticket. I fortunately decided to think about it and I wandered to the train station to inquire there, just for shits and giggles.

They had a seat for tomorrow, which I promptly bought. It's a hard seat, the lowest class. It will be for two days with people crowding the aisles, and probably with chickens clucking around under the seats and babies crying and people spitting on the floor, but I guess it beats standing for two days or twiddling my thumbs in Kunming for a week.

I eagerly anticipate more good fortune.

2 comments:

  1. Take some pictures of these awesome vehicular accommodations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You finally got your wish Dave. I posted a pick of the bus I mentioned in the previous post too.

    ReplyDelete