Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Hitching to India: The Hunt, Days 5, 6, ...whatever.


I've given up on trying to find a boat to India. After spending three days talking to people at marinas, the only thing I've heard is that everyone left during the first couple weeks of January.

I guess my timing is just off. Valuable lesson learned though: when trying to hitchhike onto a yacht, spend more time on sailing forums to make sure people will actually be going to where you want to go when you want to go. Don't rely entirely on this very general chart.

I spent my days hanging around Phuket, driving on cheap motorbikes from beach to city and city to beach. I spent two days and one night on and around the Similan Islands, snorkeling, and camping below bat-infested trees. The fucking animals plopped their shit on the tent and squawked and screeched at all hours of the night. Not that I can really complain about spending any time in such a beautiful place.

So what to do now? It would be very easy to give up my land-only goal and fly to Colombo, visit Sri Lanka and then move on to India, but instead, against all common sense, I'm probably going back to China to spend time with a girl I met here in Phuket.

From Beijing, I'll travel west through China, like I had intended before I got sidetracked into southeast Asia for the last couple months. And as much as I want to go to India, I might just skip it so I don't have to deal with the expense and paperwork of going through Tibet both on my way there and my way back, and so I can visit India some other time and give it the proper time and attention I'm sure it deserves.

But naturally, I really don't know what I'm going to do, and probably won't know until I'm doing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment