Thursday, February 3, 2011

Hitching to India: The Hunt, Days 3, and 4

I woke up on the Lunar New Year to firecrackers going off somewhere in the morning, and went back to sleep since I had been out to the wee hours of the morning.

I did no active work trying to find boats. I thought I'd take a couple days off and see if anyone emails or calls me. They didn't. I think the boat situation is pretty hopeless.

I planned on going to the beach and relaxing. As I as putting on sunscreen on the fringe of the beach I got a phone call from a Chinese girl who I met the night before through some mutual CouchSurfing friends. Miraculously, my phone's microphone began working and I could actually talk to her.

We drove, along with Viktar and two other friends, to the southern cape to watch the sunset on the last day of the year. We went swimming on an empty beach in the dark, and we ate Indian food, and laid around on another empty beach, and saw a Russian tourist nearly get knifed by a crowd of angry locals for some unknown transgression.

The next day was equally productive. I met the Chinese girl - Sophie - again, and we saw the Green Hornet in 3D along with an Egyptian CouchSurfing friend. He was all bent up about the uprisings in Egypt, and he was trying to get out of going to the movie so he could go to a doctors appointment, but I just bought him a ticket so he didn't have a choice. Eight bucks per ticket; getting close to US prices. Well he liked it, I knew a movie like that would get his mind off things of reality like strife and uncertainty, and downer shit like that. I don't even know what's going on in Egypt, I should check the news sometime.

I took Viktar out for dinner. We had Egyptian food, coincidentally, and it was truly mediocre. I tried though. I got to bed around 5AM after laying around on the shadowy beach, eating pizza that was suspiciously similar to generic Pizza Hut pizzas, and embarrassing myself on a club's dance floor that was mercifully full of enough darkness and drunk people picking up hookers to notice how poorly I "dance".

It's tough work trying to hitchhike on a boat.

No comments:

Post a Comment