Friday, September 10, 2010

The Plan



Right to left, that's the plan. When I step off the plane in Korea, I won't step back on one until I get the European Atlantic at the very earliest. I'll take a boat to Russia, and trains and buses from there on out, with maybe another boat or two across the Black Sea and the Mediterranean. And maybe a bicycle or motorcycle for good measure.

I leave tomorrow, and so far I have plenty of room in my pack. I'm foregoing a large backpacking pack in favor of a smaller and more manageable day pack, along with the case for my travel guitar. I've yet to pack with a sense of finality, but it seems I never do. I'll throw everything in at the last minute tomorrow, I'm sure.

Beside my guitar, ready to go in its case I have a book of scales and arpeggios, a fat guidebook for China, a small daily planner that I've been using as a mini journal, and in the outside pocket, a small padded box containing mini travel games such as backgammon, cribbage, checkers and chess. I'm going to have to learn some of those games so Adam and I can stay sane if we're held up in some godforsaken place waiting for a train or a sign or our salvation. I also have some pencils and pens in a case given to me by a student, a tuner, capo, string winding tool, and picks. One of the picks was used by B.B. King when I saw him at the Whittemore Center; I hope I don't lose that one.

In my bag I have my camera and case and cords, a lightweight down windbreaker, Gore-Tex outer shell, and pack towel in the bottom pocket. I have two extra pairs of boxers, three extra pairs of socks, two extra T-shirts, and pair of running shorts, a short sleeve shirt and a long sleeve shirt. I have a couple small gifts to give to my girlfriend on the occasion of our last time seeing each other, perhaps, for good. I have a small bag of toiletries and I have some important documents and an alarm clock, Korean cell phone and charger, spare boot laces and insoles, flip-flops, decoy wallet, buckle strap, and other small miscellaneous things. In the outer pocket I have a mostly empty journal and a copy of Three Cups of Tea next to my shades and glasses.

With the exception of a sweater, and maybe a hat and some gloves purchased here or there, those things should get me from right to the left side of that map. Should, however, is a very unreliable word.

No comments:

Post a Comment