Saturday, June 25, 2011

Trike!



Mother and I happened to be in the right subway car at the right time in Berlin. Although at first, when I saw this dude setting up his keyboard, I was ready to ignore him and the violin-toting chick he was with so I wouldn't have to hand over some change to buskers I had no interest in. Just a natural reaction to people that look for money from me, but these guys deserve a lot of credit, and a bit of money.

The song they played over the course of three subway stops was awesome. The video above is just a piece of Love is a Temperature Thing I shot on Mother's camera. The duo is Canadian and the dude played the keyboard and sang, and did both quite theatrically. The chick played the violin and tap-danced in heavily duct-taped shoes.

They go by the name of Trike. The guy had enough time to tell me about a show they were playing the following night, which I went to because it's Berlin, and if you don't see some sort of show here, you're not doing something right.

It was in a dingy garage of a shack. The first band played some stripped down but very excellent covers of such diverse acts as the Specials, Michael Jackson, the Mighty Mighty Bosstones, and other shit I didn't recognize. The second band was four chicks, but I didn't really listen to them because my friend from Laos arrived and we were outside talking.

Trike was last and their whole show was as theatrical and entertaining as the subway song. They had little dances to go with some songs, and even their own dance and song called the Trikey. It's simple, but I still had trouble with it because I suck at dancing. It was possibly the most entertaining show I'd been to since I saw GoGo Star at some multi-venue AIDS benefit night in Hongdae.

No comments:

Post a Comment